Monday, December 17, 2012

Tomato Relish


Another Monday and it's only 8 days until Christmas!  I hope you're enjoying all the Christmas recipes so far.  We've already done Ham Week and Christmas Treats Week, so now I'm launching into Edible Gifts.  Hopefully this will give you some great ideas of unique gifts for family and friends that come from the kitchen - mainly jams & preserves.  I have a special friend doing a guest post for me this week, so can't wait to share her delicious recipe.

So, kicking off today is Tomato Relish!  This recipe is a bit of a combination between one from Jamie Oliver and one from Julie Goodwin. This was my first attempt at relish and i was so happy with the result! It is just divine - perfect with cheese or as an accompaniment with quiche, sausages, steak or savoury scones.

Ingredients (makes about 4 cups)
1 tablespoon olive oil
2 tablespoons curry powder
500g onions, sliced thinly
2kg ripe red tomatoes, chopped
1 teaspoon sea salt
1 cup red wine vinegar
375g brown sugar
2 tablespoons whole grain mustard

Method
Heat olive oil in a large pot over medium-high heat, then add curry powder. Stir for a minute, until fragrant. Add the onions and cook for a further minute, then add tomatoes and bring to the boil.

Add the rest of the ingredients. Lower the heat and simmer uncovered for 1 hour, or until reduced to a thick, spreadable consistency.

Spoon into sterilised jars and seal. Once open, keep in the fridge for up to 6 months.

It's not hard to fill some jars with edible goods for a practical, delicious and always-appreciated gift!

12 comments:

Unknown said...

Made this yesterday and it is really delicious! I added 2 grated apples and a little bit of cornflour at the end as it was a little watery (most likely a result of adding the apples). Had a really nice curry kick and would definitely make it again!

Unknown said...

I have a mountain of cherry tomatoes that I wanted to make some relish with. Do you need to peel the tomatoes, am hoping not! What are your thoughts on this....should I just throw them into the food processor to chop?

Vanessa Gibson said...

Hi Natalie, nope - no need to peel the tomatoes thankfully! I have done them in the food processor - it works, but is a bit more watery than if you chop by hand, so requires a bit more cooking - it still tastes as good though!

Aroonarama said...

I made this relish 2 weeks ago and have just done another lot. It is easy and quick to make and tastes wonderful. Sooo many tomatoes this year all from self sown bushes. I am going to do semi dried tomatoes in the oven with the rest of the tomatoes..they aren't roma's but should still turn out alright.

Anonymous said...

Simple recipe even a male can do it .lol

Maria said...

OMG! This is soooo yummy! I added a half red chilli to give it a little kick. SO you get a sweet taste then a little kick of hotness.
I had read others saying it can be watery, so I chopped the tomatoes then let them sit in a bowl for an hour or so, drained them and ta-da! Easy peasy lemon squeezy!
I used a variety of tomato that has a lot of sweetness and I added 200grams of sugar instead of the 375gms. Glad I did, just enough sweetness to make it moreish!
Great recipe!
:)

Anonymous said...

How much does this recipe make?

CatMcD said...

Add the weights of your solid ingredients and it should give you a good estimate of total amount of relish.

Anonymous said...

I added sultanas, apple and sweet potatoe to thicken sauce and strained the tomatoes in a cloth to reduce the cooking time then drank to tomatoe juice from the strain tomatoes.

Anonymous said...

Throw them into the processer with onion etc

Anonymous said...

Great idea the sweet potato

Anonymous said...

Great idea

Print